Bilingual Concentration | Counseling Psychology | Counseling & Clinical PsychologySkip to content Skip to main navigation
Bilingual Latina/o Mental Health Concentration
Elizabeth D. Fraga, Ph.D. Concentration Coordinator
email@example.com • 212-678-3599 (office phone)
The Bilingual Latina/o Mental Health (BLMH) concentration within the EdM program, newly approved in 2015 by the New York State Education Department, is the only program in New York to offer culturally appropriate training in delivering mental health services in Spanish to Latinas/os. The BLMH concentration will train bilingual students with intermediary Spanish fluency to be bicultural/bilingual counselors and counseling psychologists1 with the necessary competencies needed to understand and provide culturally responsive care to Spanish-dominant and bilingual multi-racial Latina/o clients. Students will take courses concurrently within the required EdM or PhD curriculum coursework. All courses within the BLMH will be taught by bilingual faculty. Additionally, students will be supervised by a bilingual supervisor at his/her fieldwork training site.
Mission and Goals
The concentration in BLMH aspires to train students to become bilingual and bicultural mental health providers proficient to treat the Latina/o population by:
- Gaining understanding of the demographic and cultural make-up of Latina/o population
- Increasing knowledge of psychosocial factors that impact the Latina/o population
- Learning to effectively assess the varied psychological needs and expressions of distress of the Latina/o client
- Gaining the counseling skills needed to provide mental health services in Spanish
- Acquiring the knowledge of Spanish therapeutic concepts, interventions, and terminology
- Learning to apply intervention models (strategies, and techniques) to treatment of Latinas/os.
1. Pending NYSED approval for PhD program