Coles, Drew X. (dxc2102)Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Fall 2020: M, W, F, 11:00am - Noon EST
Ed.D. in Music Education, 2019 – Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY
M.B.A., 2014 – Metropolitan College Of New York, New York, NY
M.A. in Jazz Performance, 2013 – Queens College, City University Of New York, New York, NY
B.M. in Music Business, 2011 – Crane School Of Music, State University Of New York At Potsdam, Potsdam, NY
Drew X Coles is a multi-instrumentalist, composer, arranger, producer, serial entrepreneur, and educator. Drew serves as an applied lessons instructor, ensemble facilitator, and adjunct professor of music entrepreneurship at Teachers College, Columbia University. Drew also teaches music entrepreneurship at the Manhattan School of Music, and serves as a visiting assistant professor and program coordinator for the Music Business Program at the Crane School of Music at the State University of New York at Potsdam.
His scholarly interests include; the construct of success as it applies to post-secondary music students, culturally responsive pedagogy in the music classroom, the use of technology in the applied studio, mentorship in music higher education, Jazz pedagogy, improvisation pedagogy, comprehensive musicianship coursework and curricula, artistic entrepreneurship, and quantitative research methods in music education.
Drew has served as the Executive Director of the international chamber orchestra of America. Drew is also a co-founder of Pro Arts Management and Consulting LLC and serves as the Musical Director to the Metropolitan Players, an award-winning New York City-based wedding entertainment collective. Among other scholarly affiliations, Drew is a board member of the Society for Arts Entrepreneurship Education.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- (November 2020) Conference Presentation at the Society for Arts Entrepreneurship Education 2020 Conference: An Entry Point for Culturally Responsive Arts Entrepreneurship Pedagogy.
- (October 2020) Conference Presentation at National College Music Society Conference: Mentoring Black Scholars in Music.
- (June 2020) Conference Presentation at NETMCDO Conference: My Supporting Cast: A guide to helping students embrace their intersectionality.
- Coles, D. X. (2019). Perceptions of Success Among Music Professionals(Doctoral dissertation, Teachers College, Columbia University).
- Coles, D. X. (2018, October). Reimagining Career Clarity in Music Professions, Defining Success in Boundaryless Music Performance Careers. In College Music Symposium(Vol. 58, No. 2, pp. 1-7). The College Music Society.
- (2018) Conference Presentation at NETMCDO Conference: Teaching Demonstration Career Pie Chart.