Required Courses in Art Education (34 points):
- A&HA 4079 - Exploring cultural diversity: Implications for art education (2 points)
- A&HA 4080 - Artistic development of children (2 points) with co-requisite A&HA 4281 Field observations in art education 1 (1 point)
- A&HA 4081 - Curriculum design in art education (3 points)
- A&HA 4085 - Historical foundations of art education (2 points)
- A&HA 4087 - Processes and structures in the visual arts (2 points)
- A&HA 4088 - Artistic development: Adolescence to adulthood (2 points) with co-requisite A&HA 4281 - Field observations in art education 2 (1 point)
- A&HA 4089 - New media, new forms (2 points)
- A&HA 4860 - Cross-cultural conversations in the arts (1 point)
- A&HA 4102 - Challenging thinking: Plan lessons (3 points)
- A&HA 4702 - Supervised student teaching in art education: Secondary (3 points)
- A&HA 4722 - Supervised student teaching in art education: Elementary (3 points)
- A&HA 4202 - Fieldwork in art education - edTPA workshop (0 points, with corequisite Supervised student teaching)
- Three studio courses (2 points each)
Required courses outside the program (6 points):
Students in the M.A. with Teacher Certification program must take six (6) points offered outside the Art and Art Education Program at Teachers College. Any course that does not start with A&HA qualifies as an out-of-program, or breadth, course. Students going for certification must earn three (3) credits in a Special Education course (required by the NYSED for certification) as part of the out-of-program requirement.
Members of each student teaching cohort are also required to attend student teaching seminars, participate in resource workshops on documenting and evaluating their practicum teaching, and mount a Macy Gallery exhibition combining their own artwork with that of the pupils taught during their practica. Note: To be certified by New York State, there are additional requirements. Please see below and consult the Office of Teacher Education website for details.
To gain Initial Teacher Certification students must:
- In accordance with the New York State Education Department (NYSED), and as outlined by the Office of Teaching Initiatives (OTI), all students seeking Teacher Certification as a pre-requisite must have completed (3) three undergraduate credits in English, Math, Science, History and Foreign Language. If you have not completed these courses as part of your undergraduate education, you may do so while in the program, or you may choose to take a College Level Examination Program test (CLEP) in addition to your program coursework. (If you have foreign language proficiency, as a result of personal experience, you will be required to document this proficiency through a language CLEP test or through being tested by a Language Professor working within a Language Department of an accredited college or university.) For more information on meeting the Liberal Arts & Sciences Core requirements, please contact the Office of Teacher Education (OTE) at Teachers College.
- Complete all degree requirements, including two terms of student teaching and 3 credits in Special Education.
- Get fingerprinted through the New York City Department of Education.
- Provide proof of negative TB status.
- Take NY State examinations and fulfill portfolio requirements.
Requirements Beginning with 2013 Graduates: edTPA Performance Assessment (Portfolio), Written Assessments, Content Specialty Test(s), Writing Skills, Educating All Students
- Complete online tutorial: Child Abuse and Violence Detection.
- Complete Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) workshop.
Students will receive all pertinent information to complete items 1-7 in the Supervised Teaching seminar.