Education of Teachers in Science MS

Master of Science Education of Teachers in Science

A graduate student listens to a student in her cohort.

Admissions Information

Master of Science

  • Points/Credits: 60
  • Entry Terms: Spring/Summer/Fall

Application Deadlines

  • Spring: November 1
  • Summer/Fall (Priority): January 15
  • Summer/Fall (Final): Rolling

* For details about rolling deadlines, visit our admission deadlines page.

Supplemental Application Requirements/Comments

Requirements from the TC Catalog

View Full Catalog Listing

The Science Education program offers curricula leading to a Master of Science (M.S.) degree and a Master of Education (Ed.M.) degree. Both programs require a minimum number of graduate points of coursework and a master’s paper.

The M.S. and Ed.M. degrees require a program planned in consultation with an advisor who may also sponsor the master’s paper. The M.S. degree requires more science subject matter coursework than the Ed.M. degree, while the Ed.M. degree requires more intensive work in education including science education. The M.S. degree is recommended for science educators who want a professional degree with intensive preparation in science subject matter. This degree is especially appropriate for prospective community college instructors who do not intend to pursue a doctorate immediately. The Ed.M. degree is recommended for science educators who want a professional degree with intensive preparation in science education. Both programs include some depth of study in science, work in the candidate’s specialization, and the development of competence in methods of scholarly analysis. Some credits obtained at the M.A. level may be applied toward the Ed.M. or M.S.

Master of Science

In total, a minimum of 60 course points are required: A minimum of 30 points in breadth of science content courses, 12 points in core science education courses, 6-9 points in professional education courses, 3-6 points in research methodology courses, and 3 points in technology courses. This leaves at most a remaining 6 points of optional studies to be determined in consultation with the advisor.

Master’s Integrative Project

For the M.S. and the Ed.M. degrees in the Science Education Program, a master’s paper will be required. This project may be an extension of some paper that has been prepared for a course included in the program of the student. The paper may take a variety of forms. It may be a report of an empirical investigation, or it may be a library-type research paper dealing with some problem in which the candidate has a special interest. The form of the paper should be carefully chosen in the context of the candidate’s professional goals.

The M.S. paper must address a problem in science content either through scientific laboratory research, a synthesis of scientific knowledge from the literature, and/or the production of a novel model synthesizing data. The M.S. paper may be a research thesis in basic science within the candidate’s field of specialization.

Back to skip to quick links