As per government regulations international students in F-1 and J-1 status must be registered full time (at least 9 credits) every Fall and Spring semester in order to maintain their visa status unless granted prior authorization from the OISS for a Reduced Course Load (RCL).
Note: International students are NOT required to be registered during the summer unless it is an academic requirement for their program or the student is beginning their course of study during the summer term.
Full-time registration requirements may be met in any of the following ways:
1) Full-time Coursework: Registration for 9 points/credits of coursework
2) Registration in a full time equivalent course, such as:
• Dissertation Advisement 8900 or 8901
• Clinical Psychology Internship CCPX 6430
• Counseling Psychology Internship CCPX 6460
• School Psychology Internship HBSK 6480
During the Fall / Spring semesters, no more than one on-line/distance education class (for a maximum of 3 credits) per semester may be counted toward the full course of study requirement. An on-line/distance education class is defined as one which does not require physical attendance at Teachers College to complete the course.
If the student is in their last term of study and the student has one course left to complete, this course cannot be an online/distance education course.