Health ServicesSkip to content Skip to main navigation
LGBTQ @ Teachers College
LGBTQ Health Services
Teachers College offers LGBTQ-focused medical and counseling services through Columbia Health, committed to the well-being of all LGBTQ students with a wide range of services and support to help meet students’ needs. Please note that in order to access most of the resources administered by Columbia Health, such as the Columbia Counseling and Psychological Services, you must have successfully enrolled and paid the Columbia Health fee. Find more about the current Teachers College insurance and health fees here.
LGBTQ students may be reluctant to seek out counseling, treatment or support from health professionals, fearing judgment or misunderstanding. Columbia Health is aware of student concerns and works to be inclusive and welcoming to all students. Sexuality and sexual identity have emerged as fundamental areas of inquiry, leading to improvements in the health of lesbian, gay, and transgendered populations in the US and around the world.
Some of the resources available through Columbia Health are:
- LGBTQ specialized primary care physicians
- LGBTQ-friendly counseling & psychological services
- Coming Out discussion group
- Queer Academics at Columbia Group
- HIV testing, prevention and treatment
- Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP), Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP), and urgent treatments
- Continuation & maintenance of hormone therapy*
- Care coordination for initiation of hormones and reassignment surgery*
- Sexual Violence Response (SVR), fighting violence against and within the LGBTQ+ communities