MA Program Enrollment & Financial Aid | Social-Organizational Psychology | Organization and Leadership

Skip to content Skip to main navigation

Social-Organizational Psychology

In Organization and Leadership

Program Enrollment & Financial Aid

We appreciate that enrolling in a graduate program is a significant investment of time, resources, and energy. We encourage you to read the information below to best inform yourself before embarking on the MA degree. Also, once acceptance decisions have been made, accepted applicants are afforded formal opportunities to meet with faculty and students to discuss the program before enrolling. This occurs on Admitted Student Weekend and on Registration/Orientation Day.

Enrollment Status

Students in the MA program enroll as either part-time or full-time students. Part-time students usually take 1 to 2 classes per term and full-time students enroll in 4 classes per term. The full-time and part-time students are provided equal services and support, and there is no designation or differentiation between part-time and full-time students

For the approximately 50% of our students who work full-time and take classes part- time, we offer many of our classes from 3-4:40pm, 5:10-6:50pm and 7:20-9:00 pm. We also have a few elective courses available during the weekends and via distance learning. In addition, we typically host networking events and colloquium speakers during the evenings.

Typically, full-time students complete their program in two academic years, and our part-time students complete their program in approximately three to four years. Please note, however, it is not possible to complete the 45-credit MA degree without taking a small number of classes in the late afternoon or early evening (3pm or 5:10pm time slots). Most students who work full-time are able to negotiate this with their employer to be able to finish their degree while continuing to work.

Credit for Previous Graduate Work

Selected core level 1 courses (see our Curriculum page) may be waived and substituted with other courses depending on the individual’s graduate study and work experience. (Please note, if the waiver is granted, the student must select a replacement course. Because the MA program maintains a minimum academic residency of 45 credits to be taken at Teachers College, the College will not accept transfer credits from previous graduate work).

In order to waive out of a course and request a substitution course, the student is responsible for demonstrating that his/her previous graduate course work is redundant with material covered in the petitioned course. Although not a prerequisite, a significant number of our students complete graduate work prior to starting the social-organizational psychology program. These areas include counseling psychology, developmental psychology, social work, law, business, public health, journalism, and education. The student must provide a variety of materials to establish that a redundancy exists.

Examples of relevant material include, but are not limited to, a combination of the following:

  • Graduate transcript indicating that relevant course work was taken and that the student received a grade of B or higher in these courses;
  • A syllabus or syllabi (i.e. more than a basic course description) indicating the topics covered in their previously taken course(s);
  • Relevant thesis work;
  • Serving as a teaching assistant for related courses;
  • Serving as a research assistant for a professor working on topics related to the petitioned course.

A student interested in petitioning to waive out of a class should speak to the instructor of the course as well as their faculty advisor (Dr. Sarah Brazaitis or Dr. Gina Buontempo) to determine if the waiver is appropriate. Exemption from any course remains at the discretion of the faculty advisor.


Financial Considerations

The tuition rate for the 2018-2019 academic year is $1,635 per credit, plus student fees. We expect moderate increases in the coming 2017-2018 academic year. The Office of Financial Aid offers more detailed information about funding your graduate studies.

To receive additional information specifically relating to tuition payments, see the Bursar’s website. If your organization offers a tuition payment plan, you may also make arrangements with the Office of the Bursar.

Currently and historically there have not been scholarship monies or assistantships available to students at the MA level in the program. Our students typically fund their studies via student loans, employment, and family support. Many students work part-time in organizations to supplement their income, and most students maintain a full-time internship with a firm during the Summer months. To help students with this process, the Office of Career Services hosts workshops, posts employment opportunities, and links mentors with current students. TC’s Office of Human Resources also posts available on-campus job opportunities

Prospective MA students often inquire about the possibility of teaching/graduate assistantships to help fund their studies. The vast majority of these teaching assistantships are necessarily awarded to doctoral students at Teachers College, thus regrettably, there are typically not research or teaching assistantships available from the program for MA students.  On rare occasions, one of these may be given to an MA student. However, relying upon a graduate/teaching assistantship as a form of financing your MA degree is strongly discouraged. Should you have questions, more information is available from your faculty adviser.

  • Apply
  • Request Info