Founded in 1887 by New York philanthropist Grace Hoadley Dodge, Teachers College (TC) officially incorporated in 1892 and established an affiliation with Columbia University (CU) in 1893. Today, TC students in more than 100 programs earn graduate degrees that are conferred by Columbia University. Through our affiliation with CU, TC students can access the majority of campus buildings and CU student resources, such as Columbia Health (Medical Services, Counseling & Psychological Services, and Sexual Violence Response), Dodge Fitness Center, Libraries, and student clubs and organizations open to graduate students. Additionally, TC students are granted discounts offered through the Arts Initiative, workshops offered through Multicultural Affairs, and University Life events. As a TC student, you may be restricted from accessing specific buildings, especially those that house residential students.
While TC is closely affiliated with CU and collaborates with it on many programs, the College is an independent, autonomous institution with a separate, independent governing board, president, and financial endowment.
Columbia University includes or is affiliated with 17 schools and programs, including: Columbia University Irving Medical Center (CUIMC); School of Nursing and Mailman School of Public Health, located north in Washington Heights; the undergraduate School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) and Columbia College (CC) as well as the Business School, Law School, School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA), School of Social Work, and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS), located in the Morningside Heights community. In addition to TC, other schools affiliated with CU include: Barnard College, Jewish Theological Seminary (JTS), and Union Theological Seminary (UTS).