If you are a prospective student and would like information about applying to Teachers College, Columbia University, please visit the Office of Admissions, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (212) 678-3710.
The application process is available through the Online Application System. Please note that the Program does not pre-screen applicants to determine eligibility for Admission.
The following items are required:
- A completed application form found online at Online Application System
- Application Fee
- Statement of Purpose
- A video essay (to be completed online at Online Application System)
- A current resume or CV
- Official transcripts from each university you attended
All transcripts for degrees completed from non-U.S post-secondary institutions must have course-by-course evaluations from World Education Services (WES), Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE), or other evaluation institutions approved by the Office of Admission. Please view the application notes for International Applicants.
- 2 letters of reference
- For Ed.M. and Ed.D. applicants ONLY: A writing sample that demonstrates your English academic writing ability and your potential to do research
- For all international applicants: The TOEFL or IETLS is required unless English is your native language. Applicants must submit official TOEFL or IELTS scores that are no more than 2 years old and MUST meet our minimum requirements listed below. This includes international applicants that have completed undergraduate or graduate coursework in the United States or other country where English is the medium of instruction.
|Minimum Speaking Score
|Minimum Writing Score
|Minimum Reading Score
|Minimum Listening Score
- Applicants to the Ed.M. and Ed.D. programs must have an M.A. in TESOL, Applied Linguistics or a related field. During the admission review process, the committee will review the applicant's complete transcripts to determine academic relatability to the coursework. Applicants that are unsure of the relatedness of their previously completed graduate degree should still apply to their desired degree track. The admissions committee ensures that all applicants are considered for their desired degree track as well as for any lower-level masters degree tracks.
- All students are expected to write and speak in a way that is appropriate to their professional responsibilities. Students having difficulty in achieving these standards will be required to take additional coursework or seek help from the TC Writing Center.
- Ed.M. applicants may request to transfer up to 30 credit points into the TESOL program from previous graduate study at an accredited institution. Applicants who have already earned an M.A. from Teachers College may transfer a total of 15 points in related areas from an accredited institution. Ed.D. students may transfer up to 45 points from previous graduate study at an accredited institution. All transfer of credit points must meet the approval of a faculty advisor.