ESL Placement Test | Community Language ProgramSkip to content Skip to main navigation
Community Language Program
Teachers College, Columbia University
Phone: (212) 678-3097
ESL Placement Test
Students must be registered and have an appointment to take the test. ESL placement test for new students will be held on the following dates and times:
- Tuesday, August 27: 9am-12pm
- Tuesday, August 27: 11:30am-2:30pm
- Tuesday, August 27: 2pm-5pm
- Wednesday, August 28: 9am-12pm
- Wednesday, August 28: 11:30am-2:30pm
- Wednesday, August 28: 2pm-5pm
- Thursday, August 29: 9am-12pm
- Thursday, August 29: 11:30am-2:30pm
- Thursday, August 29: 2pm-5pm
- Tuesday, September 3: 9am-12pm
- Tuesday, September 3: 11:30am-2:30pm
- Tuesday, September 3: 2pm-5pm
- Wednesday, September 4: 9am-12pm
- Wednesday, September 4: 11:30am-2:30pm
- Wednesday, September 4: 2pm-5pm
Please choose one of these dates and times that best work for you on the registration form. All new students must take the test in order to be placed into a class at our program. All new students have to take the placement test in person on the test dates we have available. There will be no exceptions. Please note that there is a non-refundable fee of $5 for the placement test.
Our placement exam has 2 sections: a speaking exam and a computer exam, which includes Reading, Writing, and Grammar sections. All of our testing is conducted in our office in Horace Mann 46E (ground floor) at Teachers College, Columbia University. Please note that all placement test data will be used for research and placing students in a class appropriate for his or her level.
This test is only for those registered for ESL, Conversation, Writing, Pronunciation, Grammar & Writing, or TOEFL courses. Continuing students do not need to sign up to take the test if they were enrolled in a CLP course within a year prior. The test scores will be valid for placement for one year.