International Educational Development MA

Master of Arts in International Educational Development

A student is engaged in conversation with one her peers at a study group at Teachers College.

Admissions Information

Displaying requirements for the Spring 2024, Summer 2024, and Fall 2024 terms.

Master of Arts

  • Points/Credits: 32
  • Entry Terms: Fall Only

Application Deadlines

  • Spring: N/A
  • Summer/Fall (Priority): January 15
  • Summer/Fall (Final): April 1

* The final deadline for this program has been extended to May 1, 2024*

Supplemental Application Requirements/Comments

Requirements from the TC Catalog (AY 2023-2024)

Displaying catalog information for the Fall 2023, Spring 2024 and Summer 2024 terms.

View Full Catalog Listing

International Educational Development (IED – code: INTL)

Check the Course Planning sheet in the Student Handbook for the most recent degree requirements.

Coursework (at least 32 graduate level credits).

M.A. coursework falls into four broad areas:

Area 1: Core Courses (12 credits)

  • ITSF 4580 International Comparative Education & Development Studies (Part 1) 

  • ITSF 4581 International Comparative Education & Development Studies (Part 2) 

  • Two Research Methods Courses (Not Limited to ITS Methods Classes)

Area 2: Cluster-related courses (at least 9 credits)

  • Courses counting towards the cluster must be faculty advisor- approved.

  • Students considering a change in cluster must discuss the change with the faculty advisor.

Area 3: Transcultural/Area Studies (at least 5 credits)

  • Courses must come from at least two of the following categories: topics, research methods, professional skills, internship/practicum.

Area 4: TC Electives (at least 6 credits)

  • To fulfill the TC breadth requirement, M.A. students must take at 6 points of courses that are at TC but outside of the International and Comparative Education Program.

  • Courses offered by other programs within the ITS Department (anthropology) can also count as TC breadth electives if they are outside of the student’s concentration.

Integrative Project (IP)

  • Completion of an IP is required for the M.A. degree. Please see the Guidelines for Master’s Integrative Project (IP) in the handbook.

  • Students should consult with the faculty advisor about the IP at least one semester before the intended graduation date. After the IP topic has been approved, the IP Advisors are available to guide students through the completion of the IP.

  • Students who are working on the IP but are not registered for any other classes may register for IND 4000 (Masters Candidate).


  • Full-time students may complete the M.A. degree within one academic year (fall semester, spring semester, and summer session).

  • In order to graduate, students need to review their coursework on Degree Audit (accessed through myTC portal) and have it approved by their faculty advisor. Once the IP is completed, the student's faculty advisor must approve it through Degree Audit. Students may contact the Registrar for specific deadlines. Students must submit a soft and hard copy of the IP to be filed in the International and Comparative Education Program office (374 GDH). Students will complete a release form indicating whether or not they grant permission for the IP to be viewed by other students.

For more information, review the full International and Comparative Education Student Handbook here.

Back to skip to quick links