Student Employment

On-Campus Student Employment

Every year there are hundreds of student jobs that open on the TC campus.

By visiting the On-Campus Student Employment site, you can search for all available on-campus employment opportunities, including federal work study positions and graduate assistantships.  

For more information on searching or for questions see our FAQs.


Student Employment at a Glance

There are seven categories of on-campus student employment positions.  All positions allow opportunities for various types of skill building while earning funds and, in some positions, tuition points.  For more details, see the TC Student Employment Positions chart.

For questions regarding eligibility for federal work study and assistantships, please refer to the Office of Financial Aid.

Centered with the TC shield, in navy blue, text below reads

Student Employment at a Glance

Exempt (Semester-Based)

  • CA: Course Assistant
  • TA: Teaching Assistant
  • RA: Research Assistant
  • DRF: Doctoral Research Fellow 

Overtime-Eligible (Hourly)

  • AF: Administrative Fellow
  • FWS: Federal Work Study
  • Interim Student

Student Employment Support

Can't find what you're looking for? You can also contact our team at or meet with a member of our team.


Frequently Asked Questions

Teachers College Campus Jobs 
Columbia Main Campus Jobs
  • Students can find guidance, resources and links on the following website:
  • Please note, Federal work study aid awarded by Teachers College is not applicable to other CU campuses

  • Students can search for jobs at CU Medical Center, Mailman School of Public Health and Manhattanville campuses here. Search for “Graduate Assistant”, “Student” or “Short-Term Casual.” Once you’ve found a job to apply for, be sure to confirm “hours per week” is less than the maximum 20 hours.

  • Some campus jobs will also be posted from the employers directly on the myTC portal -> Welcome tab -> Bulletin Board -> Employment Notices

The Handshake/LionShare database can only be accessed by students and alumni of the following schools: Columbia College, Columbia Engineering (at the undergraduate level only), and the School of General Studies. Teachers College students and alumni can access hundreds of external job postings, including some jobs on the CU main campus via the Career Resources Portal.  

Federal Work-Study jobs are open to U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents who have a financial aid work-study allocation, if you are unsure about your eligibility for work-study, you can find more information on the Financial Aid office website Federal Work Study | Financial Aid.

Yes, every year there are hundreds of student jobs that open on the TC campus. Some jobs for the fall semester are posted and begin hiring over the summer, while others will be posted in September-October once the school year begins. 

There are some departments that have needs arise mid-year and may hire a student during other times of the academic year.

  • Visit the On-Campus Student Employment site as soon as you’ve enrolled at TC (typically the summer before classes begin) and continue checking the website through the fall, as lots of jobs will be posted during that period of time. 
  • Prepare a resume and cover letter to use when applying to jobs. Once you’ve started classes at TC you can make an appointment with a career coach at TC NEXT, who can help you polish your resume and cover letter documents. You can also take advantage of “Quinccia,” which is our new AI resume review and mock interviews platform. You can find more information and access here.
  • Network! Talk to fellow students, faculty and program administrators. You never know who might know of an opportunity and can connect you with a hiring manager.

Yes! International students on F-1 or J-1 visas can work on any Columbia University campus; including Main campus, Columbia University Medical Center, Jewish Theological Seminary, Union Theological Seminary, TC and Barnard. Please visit the Office of International Students and Scholars Services website for F-1 on-campus employment and J-1 on-campus employment requirements, and attend an on-campus employment workshop.

Typically, international students on F-1 or J-1 visas cannot work off campus until they have completed one academic year of study. However, eligibility for off-campus employment may vary based on your visa status. To confirm your eligibility, we recommend contacting the Office of International Students and Scholars at or attend advising hours to speak to an international student advisor. Additionally, OISS requires students to attend employment workshops in order to initiate an application process in regards to the employment benefits under F or J status.

We post volunteer opportunities on the TC NEXT Career Resources Portal. New opportunities (paid and unpaid) are updated on the portal daily.

Back to skip to quick links