Music and Music Education MA

Master of Arts (Non-Certification)

The traditional M.A. program is designed to allow flexibility in course selection, so that each student may prepare for his or her professional career in music education.

A group of students converse in a study group at Teachers College.

Admissions Information

Master of Arts

  • Points/Credits: 32
  • Entry Terms: Spring/Summer/Fall


View Public Disclosure Notification

  • Non-Certification Track

Application Deadlines

  • Spring: November 1
  • Summer/Fall (Priority): January 15
  • Summer/Fall (Final): Rolling

* For details about rolling deadlines, visit our admission deadlines page.

Supplemental Application Requirements/Comments

Additional Notes

  • Applicants for the Master of Arts, Master of Arts - Initial Certification, Master of Arts - Professional Certification, and the Master of Education, must have an undergraduate degree with a major in music or music education, or an undergraduate degree with evidence of sufficient musical training and experience to qualify the student for graduate work in this field.
  • The Master of Arts and Master of Arts (Hybrid) programs do not lead to certification. Applicants should have initial certification or should not seek teacher certification.
  • The GRE is only required for students entering the teacher certification programs.
  • Master of Education - Initial Certification program applicants must hold a Master's degree in Music.

Additional Degree Information

In addition to Teachers College's policies for student progress and degree completion, students within the Program of Music and Music Education enrolled in a degree program in the department as of Fall Term 2021 or admitted later must meet the following requirements:

  1. All master's and doctoral students must enroll for a minimum of six (6) points per academic year. Students in summer MA intensive or summer doctoral cohort degrees must register for at least six (6) points during summer sessions. However, once a doctoral student is obligated for continuous doctoral dissertation advisement, students must satisfy the requirements for continuous registration as outlined in the College requirements.
  2. All masters and doctoral students must maintain a minimum of a "B" grade (exclusive of Pass/Fail courses) for each course registered through Teachers College.
  3. Students must remain in good academic standing by doing the following:
    • Maintain a minimum of "B" grades
    • Receive grades of "P" (progress) in research credits.
    • Maintain continuous enrollment
    • Doctoral students must pass all written and performance certification exams required for completion of the degree. Teacher College limits the number of retakes students have to pass a required exam part to one. (Please see the policy here:


    • Make satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward completion of the degree during each academic year.

    Failure to remain in good standing will result in students being placed on program academic probation for a period of one semester. If placed on academic probation students will be notified by their Advisor and the Registrar's office. Students will be restricted to part-time registration until their grades are above the minimum level. The intent of Academic Probation is to provide students the opportunity to raise their grades to minimum levels so that they may continue to pursue their academic goals. Once placed on academic probation, a student’s grades will be reviewed regularly based on academic level; master's students will be reviewed after completion of 6 credit hours and doctoral students after completion of 3 credit hours.

    Master's students can be placed on academic probation no more than twice during their academic program. Placement on academic probation beyond the first time will be based on completing the previous academic probation period with grades above a B.

    Doctoral students can be placed on academic probation only once during their academic program.

  4. Any requests for retroactive registration must receive the approval of the faculty advisor, Program Coordinator, and Department Chair before submission to the Office of Registrar.
  5. Ed.D. and Ed.D.C.T. students must complete all requirements for the Ed.D. within eight (8) years from their term of matriculation.
  6. Ed.D. and Ed.D.C.T. students must take the certification exam once they have completed 70 points of coursework (both Teachers College credits and those transferred in), or within two (2) years of term matriculation, whichever comes first. Students must complete the remaining minimum of 20 points toward their Ed.D. requirements within the initial period of certification (four to six years).
  7. Whether a student sits for the certification examination will be at the discretion of the student’s advisor. If the student has more than three (3) points of "Incomplete" grades, but the advisor does not believe this poses a problem, then the student may still sit for the certification exam. However, under Teachers College policy, any doctoral student who has six (6) or more points of "Incomplete" grades as part of the program of study may not sit for the certification examination.
  8. An Ed.D. and Ed.D.C.T.  student will be recommended for certification, for the purpose of determining when the obligation for continuous enrollment in doctoral dissertation advisement begins when they have passed all parts of the certification examination, has submitted a program plan, and has been formally recommended for certification by the program.
  9. After having passed part one of the certification examination, the student has a year to take the remaining steps to secure full certification, including completing the other parts of the certification examination and submitting a program plan.
  10. All Ed.D. and Ed.D.C.T. candidates must complete their degree requirements by the expiration date of their period of certification. Ed.D. and Ed.D.C.T.  candidates who have not completed their degree during this time, but have registered and completed a course during the last five years, may petition for an extension if they are in good academic standing (see 3. above) and have satisfied the College requirements for continuous enrollment for doctoral dissertation advisement, if applicable. Petitions for extensions may be obtained in the Office of Doctoral Studies.
  11. Students filling for an extension must:
    • Have adequate and acceptable reasons.
    • Have been registered and completed a course within the last five (5) years.
    • Provide a feasible plan for degree completion.
    • Obtain the approval of their faculty advisor, Program Director, and Department Chair. Any petitions not accompanied with appropriate approvals will be invalid.
    • Students filing petitions for extensions may be required to retake courses, or to undertake additional coursework, as specified by faculty advisor, Program Coordinator, and/or Department Chair.
    • Petitions for extensions must be filed within six (6) months of expiration of the certification period.
    • Students are limited to a maximum of two (2) petitions for extensions, which will not exceed more than two (2) years total.

Requirements from the TC Catalog

View Full Catalog Listing


The traditional M.A. program is designed to allow flexibility in course selection, so that each student may prepare for his or her professional career in music education.


A minimum of 32 points is required. Some programs may exceed the minimum number due to professional goals, special interests, or deficiencies in undergraduate work. No more than 12 points of graduate credit from other faculties of the University may be applied to the minimum point requirement, and no transfer points will be accepted from other institutions.

A student enrolled in the 32‑point master’s degree is expected to plan a program of study with an advisor that reflects a balance of work in each of four areas of music study, based upon the training, experience and specific needs of the student. The four areas of music study are: (1) Pedagogy, (2) Research, (3) Music Literacies / Musicianship, and (4) Music Performance. In order to broaden the student’s background, in addition to the coursework in music, 6 points of Teachers College course work outside of the Program (A&HM) are required.


Specifically, students are expected to enroll in:


At least two courses from the following:

  • A&HM 4021 Designing Musical Experiences for Young Children, 3 points
  • A&HM 5020 Foundations of Music Education, 3 points
  • A&HM 5021 Instrumental Experiences with Children, 2 points
  • A&HM 5025 Creativity and Problem Solving in Music Education, 3 points
  • A&HM 5027 Philosophical Perspectives of Music Education, 3 points
  • A&HM 6023 Teaching of Applied Studio Music, 2-3 points


At least one course from the following:

  • A&HM 5022 Children's Musical Development, 3 points
  • A&HM 5023 Voice Pedagogy, 2-3 points
  • A&H 5001 Research Methods for the Arts, 3 points
  • A&H 5002 Assessment Strategies for the Arts, 3 points

Music Literacies / Musicianship

At least one course from the following:

  • A&HM 5032 Comprehensive Musicianship 1, 3 points
  • A&HM 5026 Composing Collaboratively Across Diverse Styles, 3 points

Music Performance

At least four points from the following:

  • Instrumental/Applied Lessons, 2 points
  • A&HM 5058 Music Performance, 1 point
  • Ensembles

Elective Music Courses

The remaining courses in music can be selected from any of the four areas of study (Pedagogy, Research, Music Literacies / Musicianship, and Music Performance) in consultation with an advisor.

Out of Program Courses

At least 6 points in TC courses are required. Only one course may be A&HA or A&HG.

In order to graduate, a student must complete the necessary coursework, compile and present a portfolio, and demonstrate competent musicianship in performance as approved by the program faculty. A&H 4003, 5001, and 5002 can count as music electives, but cannot be used to fulfill the College’s Breadth requirement.


A portfolio must be submitted to the Music Education office by week 10 of the semester in which you plan to graduate.

Portfolio Requirements

Students seeking an M.A. in Music Education will compile a portfolio based on the application of their coursework at Teachers College to their current teaching experience. This will serve as the Cumulative Integrative Project and will be due in the final semester preceding graduation.

Choose at least four projects you have completed in your coursework at Teachers College that you feel represent your best efforts and thinking.

One project must be a video recording of classroom or studio teaching excerpts with written reflections.

One must be a video recording of a solo or chamber music performance. A video recording of a performance of an ensemble, where the candidate is the director/conductor, is also acceptable. The video recording must be accompanied by the written program.

Other projects may include research papers, creative strategies, assessment tools, lesson plans with self‑evaluations, case studies, curriculum sequences, compositions, and analyses.

The projects should reflect a breadth and depth of understanding about music, learning, and teaching.

Write a 3‑5 page personal statement reflecting on your learning process and growth regarding your musicianship, scholarship, and pedagogy. Include a statement of your philosophy of music education as it is reflected in the materials in your portfolio.

Update your resume for use as the “cover sheet” for your portfolio.

Compile resume, statement, projects, and video recordings, along with any archival evidence you would like to include such as photographs, etc. onto a USB drive or copy into a GoogleSite, or Google Folder with open access. Please note: Your M.A. portfolio USB drive will not be returned to you but will be kept on file in the Music Education Office.

Back to skip to quick links