This is employment authorization for F-1 students who have a job offer from a recognized International Organization (as specified by the International Organization Immunities Act).
In order to qualify for employment authorization with an International Organization, you must:
- Have valid F-1 status
- Be enrolled full-time
- Have a job offer from a recognized International Organization
- You may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the school year, full-time (over 20 hours per week) during vacation periods.
- You may not start employment until you have received an EAD or before the start date indicated on the EAD. You must stop employment by the EAD expiration date or by the date you finish your studies, whichever is earlier.
- You must remain a full-time student and make full-time progress toward degree completion while working for the international organization.
- Time spent working for an international organization does NOT count against your 12 months of Optional Practical Training.
STEP 1: Meet with an international student advisor at the OISS and provide the following documents:
- Your I-20, I-94 record, and passport
- A job offer letter from a recognized international organization
- A letter from your academic advisor, stating:
- that you are in good academic standing;
- your anticipated completion of studies date;
- his or her recommendation that you accept this internship
Once your application is approved, a new Form I-20 with the employment recommendation will be issued
Prepare the additional documents for the OPT application:
- Photocopy of new Form I-20 with employment recommendation
- Photocopies of all your previously issued I-20s; include I-20s from previous schools if applicable.
- Two passport-style photographs (name, date of birth, I-94 card number and SEVIS number written on the back) Photos must be taken within the last 30 days and cannot have previously been used for a passport, visa, or other US government-related application.
- A check or money order for $410 made payable to the US Department of Homeland Security. If paying by check, be sure that your name and address are pre-printed on it. If you have to hand write in either your name or address on the check then we recommend getting a money order instead. Write SEVIS ID on check/money order. Do NOT send your money order separate from the application the money order is for. Your money order should be included with your other application materials.
- A completed Form G-1145.
- A photocopy of your F-1 visa (except for citizens of Canada and Bermuda)
- A photocopy of your passport identification page, clearly indicating your passport name, nationality, date of birth, and the passport expiration date
- Photocopies of any previously-issued Employment Authorization Document (EAD), if applicable
STEP 3: Mail your application to the USCIS Chicago Lockbox:
U.S. Postal Service (USPS):
PO Box 805373
Chicago, IL 60680
FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:
Attn: I-765 C03
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517
STEP 4: Track Your Application. Once the USCIS receives your application, they will send you an electronic notification within 2 to 3 weeks and a paper notification within 3 to 5 weeks. You can then check the request status using the Receipt Number on the USCIS website.
Be sure to notify the OISS if:
- you do not receive both receipts within these timelines
- you notice any mistakes on your EAD
- you get a denial or request for more information from USCIS