J-1 Visa Employment

Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Teachers College, Columbia University
Printer-friendly Version
Teachers College, Columbia University Logo

International Services

The Office of

J-1 Visa Employment Introduction

Employment eligibility and options for students in J-1 exchange visitor status are limited by U.S. immigration regulations. In general, J-1 employment benefits are available only to students who have maintained lawful J-1 student status and are in good academic standing.

Note that J-1 students may be sponsored either by Teachers College's Exchange Visitor Program or by an external organization, such as the Institute of International Education (IIE), LASPAU, or AMIDEAST. Please note that the information in this web site is intended for J-1 students sponsored by Teachers College only.  If you are a J-1 student sponsored by an external organization, you must contact your sponsor to request information about your employment benefits and/or authorization for any specific job offer. Even though you are a Teachers College student, authorization for employment (including on-campus employment) is granted by your sponsor, not by Teachers College.

Students should not work without specific authorization from either the OIS or their sponsoring agency. Failure to obtain prior authorization constitutes a serious violation of U.S. immigration regulations.

A list of J-1 employment options are listed below. Specific information about each option is available in this section of our web site. Please read all information carefully.  Because individual situations may vary, it is essential that students consult with the OIS before pursuing or accepting any employment offers. 

  •     On-campus employment at Teachers College, Columbia University, or Columbia Affiliates
  •     Employment required by a scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship
  •     Employment based on severe and unforeseen economic hardship
  •     J-1 Academic Training

Of the above options, only J-1 Academic Training can be used to authorize employment either before or after completion of studies. All other options refer to pre-completion employment benefits.