Program Summary | Education Leadership | Organization and LeadershipSkip to content Skip to main navigation
The programs in Education Leadership include courses of study in leadership education and development for students pursuing professional careers as academics and researchers. With a nationally recognized faculty and a tradition of prominence, the Teachers College Education Leadership Program prepares students for careers as practitioners and scholars equipped to lead and transform a wide variety of educational organizations. Students gain the skills to lead educational practice; to influence political systems, education law, and education policy; to apply methods of social science research to conduct inquiry; and to seek equality, equity, and diversity in education. Graduates serve in leadership positions as school principals and headmasters, district superintendents, and education leaders in comparable positions of executive leadership as scholars of education and education leadership.
To prepare themselves to serve effectively, students:
- Become thoroughly grounded in the theory and practice of education leadership;
- Develop a broad and deep understanding of educating institutions in our society;
- Understand teaching and learning and are able to lead and support effective teaching and learning for all kinds of teachers and students;
- Understand the principles of organizational culture and behavior and possess skills needed to provide effective organizational leadership;
- Understand contemporary management systems, and are able to employ them effectively;
- Understand the nature of policy, political systems, and law and possess the skills required to shape and influence these systems and their products;
- Understand the uses of technology in education and administration, and possess the skills and knowledge to use technology effectively;
- Understand the nature of social science research and are able to apply its principles and methods in conducting inquiry and reviewing research;
- Are alert to the legal and ethical considerations that influence all aspects of education;
- Are committed to the ideals of equity and diversity in educational matters, and possess the skills and knowledge needed to promote these ideals in educational institutions; and
- Exhibit the courage and critical intelligence needed to question what is and develop what might be.