Skip to content Skip to main navigation
Teachers College, Columbia University
Printer-friendly Version
Teachers College, Columbia University Logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Payment can be made through the myTC portal or in person at Thompson Hall, Room 133. Office hours are Monday through Thursday: 9:00AM to 6:00PM, and Fridays, 9:00AM to 5:00PM (Summer hours for Fridays are 9AM - 3PM).

Initially, we request that you visit the Office of Financial Aid. Trained staff are available to assist you in financing your education; however, we all know that resources are scarce and most aid is awarded according to need. An online deferred payment plan option is available through the Office of the Bursar (plan is not available for summer registration).

Private loan checks can be endorsed at the Office of the Bursar.

Direct Lending is a streamlined approach to delivering educational loans to eligible borrowers. This federal program allows you to borrow money directly from the federal government without having to find a bank (funds are electronically disbursed to Teachers College, Columbia University).

Proceeds originating from student aid in excess of your account charges will be issued by direct deposit (if enrolled in eRefund) or a check mailed to your local address starting one week after the commencement of the term/semester. Refunds are processed on Wednesdays and Fridays, provided you satisfy all eligibility requirements.

The Office of Financial Aid and your lender will give you a general disbursement date. You can confirm disbursement by logging on to your account through myTC portal. Please allow 2-3 business days from the general disbursement date for internal processing. In addition, statements of account are sent out on a monthly basis. Finally, you are always welcome to call the Office of the Bursar at (212) 678-3056.

In most cases, you will lose your eligibility for federal funds and you may be required to return any amounts refunded to you. However, you may be eligible to file a Certificate of Equivalency (COE) form with the Office of the Registrar. Approval of this form may enhance your enrollment status for financial aid eligibility. You should consult a Financial Aid Counselor, (212) 678-3714, before changing your program.

You must speak with a Financial Aid representative to discuss returning these funds to your lender on your behalf within 14 days of the disbursement date. Please visit the Office of Financial Aid website to get more information.

Our office hours are Monday through Thursday: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM, and Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Summer hours are Monday through Thursday: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM and Friday, 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM).

You should contact the Office of the Bursar by either calling (212) 678-3056, visiting the office at Thompson Hall room 133, or writing at the address listed below, you may also submit inquiries via e-mail.

Office of the Bursar
Teachers College, Columbia University
Box 305, 133 Thompson Hall
525 West 120th Street
New York, NY 10027
Phone: (212) 678-3056
E-mail: bursar@tc.edu

You should contact the Office of the Registrar, (212) 678-4050. You may also drop/add via the myTC Portal. Failure to officially withdraw can cause an outstanding account balance that you will be responsible for paying.

Payment of rent is due in full on the same day as tuition. A late payment penalty may be assessed on unpaid rent and other charges.

Statements for accounts with outstanding balances is sent on a monthly basis. In addition you are required to check your balance via the myTC Portal if you have adjusted your schedule in between official billings. You may also call the Office of the Bursar at 212-678-3056. We can also print and mail on-demand statement of accounts upon request.

The college fee is a flat-rate which is assessed every term. See Tuition and Fees page for latest amount.

Please see the academic year calendar on the Office of the Registrar web site. Please note that the academic year begins with the fall semester and concludes with the summer semester. There are three terms/semesters in an academic year.

Through third party processing, a sponsor (parents and relatives are not considered Third Party sponsors) authorizes to be billed for tuition. An authorization form is submitted to the Office of Bursar. Once the form is completed and approved, your sponsor will be billed, and payment must be made directly to Teachers College. Click here for Third Party Payment Instructions. Billing a third party does not relieve student from the obligation to satisfy charges assessed, should third party payer fail to pay students obligation.

No, since tuition reimbursement programs return funds to employees directly, they are not considered Third Party.

ID cards can be obtained in the Office of Safety and Security located in Whittier Hall, Suite 1B and are valid for two-year periods. Every two years Teachers College identification cards must be updated. Student can obtain a ID card after registration.

You should immediately contact the Office of the Bursar at (212) 678-3056 or come to Thompson Hall room 133 for assistance. Failure to resolve this issue may cause additional late payment charges and possible referral for collection.

A hold is a restriction placed on your account for failure to comply with some obligation. The Office of the Bursar places holds on accounts for various reasons. The most common reason is failure to clear account balances by the payment due date. Holds prevent registration for future terms, release of transcripts, and other college services.

You should first find out what type of hold is on your account, then contact the appropriate office to determine how to have the hold cleared. The Registrar's Office mails letters out at the end of each term to all students with holds on their accounts. The letter includes a list of the appropriate offices to contact.

Electronic check payments can be submitted through the myTC PortalSimilar to most other colleges and universities in New York, effective December 1, 2010, Teachers College no longer accepts credit card payments towards tuition and fees. You can access the payment gateway through the myTC Portal.

No, the college does not accept post dated checks as payment. Checks are deposited to the bank on the same day they are presented. Checks presented with insufficient funds will be assessed a return check fee and are subject to all collection rules and policy.

If you have any additional questions for the Office of the Bursar, or would like to discuss other concerns, please contact: 

The Office of Bursar 
Teachers College, Columbia University 
Box 305, 133 Thompson Hall 
525 West 120th Street 
New York, NY 10027 

Phone: (212) 678-3056 

E-mail: bursar@tc.edu