Taxes - Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


 If you are filing Form 8843, Form 1040NR-EZ or Form 1040NR, the deadline to file is April 15, 2024.


Yes. You must file IRS Form 8843. Dependent spouses in F-2 and J-2 status must also file an apporpriate tax return.

Yes. If you were in the U.S. even 1 day in 2023, you must file Form 8843.

No. Simple bank interest and interest on certificates of deposit ("CD's") are not considered earned income for non-resident aliens, and therefore are not reportable. Your bank generally reports this interest on Form 1099 and you should retain this form for your records, but not mail it with your tax filing. If you file taxes as a "resident alien", bank interest is taxable income.

Yes. If you had any U.S. sourced earned income or taxable scholarship you will need to file IRS Form 8843 AND either Form 1040NR-EZ or Form 1040NR.

For dependents not eligible for a Social Security number, you must apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). Complete Form W-7 and submit it along with the required supporting documents to the IRS office. ITIN numbers are for tax filing purposes only. It takes up to six weeks to receive the ITIN.

No. You must have a valid social security number or an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number). This ID number is for use within Teachers College only.

Not necessarily. If you are from a country which has a tax treaty with the U.S., or you received a U.S. based scholarship or fellowship, you may also receive Form 1042-S from your scholarship sponsor. You will need to have both W-2's and scholarship forms before you can file.

Yes. You must file Form 1040NR-EZ or Form 1040NR. In the case where you earned more than the exempt amount of your treaty, you may receive both a Form W-2 and a Form 1042-S or you may just receive only a Form 1042-S.

No. On-campus salary payments are not considered scholarships or fellowships. Income from tuition point exemption is considered earned income and may be taxable. Please refer to your tax returns for further information.

No. Only those students who had bonafide scholarships or fellowships (no work was required as a condition of receiving the award) may deduct expenses paid for tuition, books and fees up to the amount of the scholarship/fellowship.

Yes. Always keep copies of your tax return, W-2, 1042-S, 1099 bank interest statements and any other pertinent forms as proof that you have filed. The IRS can audit individual returns for up to 3 years following the filing deadline and your tax records are essential in proving your case.

 If you owe taxes, make checks payable to the United States Treasury. More information on tax payment can be found on the IRS website here

Please refer to the instructions on the Form 1040NR-EZ, 1040NR and Forms 8843 to locate the mailing address. More information regarding mailing tax returns through the mail can be found on the IRS website

First, many international students are owed a tax refund on the income they earned. You can only get your refund if you file a tax return.

If you owe taxes and don't file, the IRS can assess penalty and interest and seize U.S. bank assets for repayment. Fines and penalties can often amount to more than the original tax debt.

There can also be immigration consequences for failing to file taxes. Applicants for permanent residency "green cards" are frequently asked to show proof of tax filing for previous years in the U.S.

File Form 4868, "Extension of Time to File", which extends the deadline for eligible taxpayers. Please consult a tax specialist for further information. 

For questions about refund checks visit the IRS website here.

To download tax forms and publications, go to the IRS website here.

Additionally, Sprintax offers lots of resources and information for those filing as a non-resident:


24/7 Live Chat Help

Refer to their FAQs


Make sure the TC Office of the Registrar has your foreign address so that your tax-related forms such as the Form W-2 can be mailed to you. Additionally, download the appropriate forms and instructions from the IRS website here and file your U.S. taxes from abroad. Save copies of all forms submitted for your records.

Yes. F and J visa holders are not subject to Social Security or Medicare taxes as long as they are considered a "non-resident alien for tax purposes" (IRS Publication 519). Refunds of these taxes may be requested from your employer. If your employer is unable to refund these taxes, you may file IRS Form 843 for a refund from the IRS.

Back to skip to quick links